I love playing with makeup and receive many questions about the “color products” I use. In fact, I received a call today from my friend Sarah, who was at Sephora and wanted to know which foundation to purchase. (For the record, I recommended Make Up For Ever Ultra HD.)
Still, the bulk of the questions I receive on my Instagram page are about my skin care routine. Some people say I look younger than my age (56) and I believe it’s a combination of genetics, diligent skin care and my facial features (round eyes, full lips, smallish nose). Of course, those are the same features that annoyed me when I was young because I always looked like the girl next door, never a sultry siren.
Anyway, I thought I’d share my nighttime skin care routine with you. Here’s the way it breaks down:
- I remove my eye makeup and do an initial cleansing pass with a couple of cotton pads soaked in micellar water.
- Next, I wash my face thoroughly with the appropriate cleanser. I use a lighter cleanser when I have no makeup on and a heavier balm cleanser when I do.
- If I’m in the mood and have time, I use a targeted mask: moisturizing, exfoliating, anti-aging or brightening.
- Next, I use an acid toner followed by a soothing toner. This prepares my skin to get the most benefit from the final steps.
- Heading into the home stretch, I use my holy grail product, which is Sunday Riley’s Night Sleeping Oil.
- After allowing Luna to fully absorb, I apply my moisturizer.
- If I didn’t use a mask earlier in my routine, I often slather on one that’s intended for use while sleeping.
- Time for eye cream.
- Lastly, I use an eyelash-growth serum.
It sounds like a lot, right? It really isn’t. I have it down to a science and can complete the entire process — in addition to brushing my teeth — in about five minutes. I find it relaxing and soothing and have become oddly superstitious about it. I can’t go to bed without doing it!
This brings me to an important point. Even if your nightly routine is simpler than mine, there are two thing you should never, ever do:
- Go to bed without washing your face
- Fail to moisturize.
Why? Because the best makeup in the world can’t hide skin-care sins. I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again: Makeup does its best work if it’s applied to a clear, smooth, even canvas. If you’ve been unkind to your skin, do the right thing by adopting a routine right away. Your face will thank you for it.
Pictured: Tonight’s bedtime breakdown, from left: Bioderma Micellar Water, Tata Harper Regenerating Cleanser, Michael Todd Milk+Honey Firming Mask, Lotion PW50 1970 Acid Toner, Josie Maran Hydrating Treatment Mist, Sunday Riley Luna Night Sleeping Oil, Kate Somerville Nourish Daily Moisturizer, Skin Owl Eye+ Nourishing and Youth Stimulating Eye Concentrate, Revitalash Advanced Eyelash Conditioner