I try a lot of beauty and skincare products. Some are swings and misses, while others are home runs. The home runs are the products I like enough to repurchase — and, trust me, that’s a relatively limited number. If I had to put it into perspective, things would shake out this way:
- 40 percent of the products I sample I would never purchase again. It’s not that most of them are patently awful; it’s that the bulk of them are nothing special and, thus, don’t warrant another penny from my pocketbook.
- 40 percent of products fall into the solid performer category. They work well, but not well enough to convince me there’s nothing better out there. I’ll repurchase if the mood strikes me, or if I try something else that doesn’t work as well.
- 20 percent of products are what I’d consider home runs. They either perform so well or are so unique that nothing (at least for the time being) can compare.That said, let’s talk about this month’s star products:
- Lotion P50W 1970 from Biologique Rechercher: Wow, that’s a mouthful, isn’t it? Let’s get to it: This product is a game changer. Although it’s billed as a lotion, it’s actually an exfoliating acid toner. There are several versions, but the P50W 1970 is for drier and more mature skin. It’s applied with a cotton pad after cleansing and before serum and moisturizer. According to Biologique Rechercher, Lotion P50 “gently exfoliates the skin, regulates excessive sebum secretion, moisturizes and helps maintain the epidermis’ acid pH.” Here’s what I say: It makes my skin look darn good! This product is relatively hard to find. I ordered mine from Shop Rescue Spa.
- Bobbi Brown Art Stick in Hot Orange: This shade all but screams summer. It’s both matte and creamy (a rare combination) and the chubby stick delivery system means there’s no need for a separate lip liner. Despite its name, I wouldn’t say it’s an all-out orange; it’s more like a face-brightening coral-red. Pop it in your bag and go. But buy it sooner than later — it’s part of the summer Hot Collection, which I don’t believe is permanent. I got mine at Sephora, but you should be able to find it wherever Bobbie Brown is sold.
- Anastasia Beverly Hills Liquid Lipstick in Craft: This deep berry liquid lipstick is one of the most in-demand shades from the crazy-popular line of stay-put liquid lipsticks from Anastasia Beverly Hills. It’s very long-wearing, which is perfect for someone like me who doesn’t like to pause to reapply lipstick throughout the day. It’s a bit drying, but ABH is altogether one the most comfortable liquid lipstick formulas out there. Craft is currently sold out on the ABH website, and the only other place to purchase it is at Macy’s.
- Milani Baked Blush in Luminoso: Beauty fanatics on YouTube and Instagram have been raving about this shade of blush for months now, so I finally picked it up at my local Walgreens. The makeup lovers weren’t wrong. It’s a highly pigmented, luminous peach that’s just perfect for summer and beyond. Luminoso has a hint of shimmer, but it doesn’t spotlight pores.
- Marc Jacobs Re(marc)able Full Cover Foundation Concentrate: I’m always looking for my holy grail foundation — trust me, I have a drawerful of them that promised nirvana but didn’t deliver. I’ve found the right one (or at least the right one for now) with this full-coverage, not-quite-matte but not-quite-luminous foundation. It’s one of the new concentrated foundations that require just a few drops for complete, my-skin-but-better coverage. Foundation is not one size fits all (skin can be oily, dry, dehydrated or combination), so keep your receipt if you try it and don’t like it. Better yet, ask for a sample at Sephora.
- Indeed Labs’ Hydraluron Moisture Serum: Will I repurchase? I already have! This post-toning, pre-moisturing serum is a little miracle worker. One of the primary ingredients is hyaluronic acid, or sodium hyaluronate, which holds 1,000 times its weight in water. It makes my skin feel soft, moisturized and supple, but not the dreaded sticky. I love this stuff! You can purchase it at Ulta.
That wraps up my July favorites. We’re into August, which I recently heard described as the Sunday of the summer. There should be lots of new things to sample, because the big brands are introducing fall makeup and skin care products at a furious pace.