Hello, everyone, from soggy Columbia, South Carolina. The city was hit hard this week by what weather experts are calling a thousand-year storm. My home is above water, although it was touch and go there for awhile, but others haven’t been as fortunate. We’re under a 6 p.m. to 6 a.m. curfew, so it’s a good time to update you on — TaDah! — my September favorites. So, without further ado, here they are:
- Let’s start with my favorite skin-care product of the month: Clinique Turnaround Revitalizing Serum. I like it so much that I’ve just reordered because I don’t want to run out! It’s a beautiful serum that purports to promote cell renewal for a youthful-looking glow. I’m loving the effects, but I also love the ways it feels on my skin. It leaves it smooth and silky, with no stickiness at all. I have an aversion to any product that doesn’t dry completely — that “tacky” feeling isn’t for me — so this serum is perfection.
- The foundation I’m reaching for most often right now is the Marc Jacobs Re(marc)able, which provides a matte finish, but I’m equally in love with the stick version of Make Up For Ever’s Ultra HD foundation. I’ve never used a stick foundation before, but this one provides complete, satiny coverage and is absolutely no-muss, no-fuss. It’s perfect to pop into your bag for touchups or traveling.
- There are so many gorgeous eyeshadow palettes out right now, but the one I’m reaching for most often is the Zoeva Cocoa Blend Palette. It includes 10 gorgeous warm shadows ranging from plum to cocoa to copper. There is a nice mix of shimmery shadows and matte shades, so you can create a complete eye look. The payoff is strong and the longevity is good too. Don’t fret about the fact that you have to order from the Zoeva website and that the company is based in Germany. I paid for my palette with PayPal and received it in about a week.
- If you’re like me, you’re always looking for makeup products that are new and better, so sometimes old favorites are forgotten. I recently received a deluxe sample or Dr. Brandt’s Pores No More Pore Refiner Primer with a Sephora order and was reminded that it’s absolutely terrific. I ordered the full-sized version and it provides a smooth, even palette for makeup while diminishing the visibility of pores and fine lines. Reunited and it feels so good!
- If you haven’t tried Clinique Cheek Pop Blush, you absolutely should. Not only is the packaging adorable, but the colors and payoff are to die for. There are 12 shades to choose from, ranging from neutrals to peaches to pinks to browns. One (or more) will surely work for you.
- I tried Benefit’s They’re Real! Push-Up Liner when it was first introduced and didn’t like it a bit. I found it dry and its unique, slanted applicator didn’t work for me. Flash-forward a few months and Benefit released the liners in several new colors — brown, green, purple and blue, in addition to the original black. I received a sample size of the black with an Ulta purchase and gave it another try. I’m glad I did, because the formula has changed. It’s creamier and much easier to work with. I’m even able to create a respectable wing!
- If you’re going to wear lipstick, you’d better have smooth, flake-free lips. I have a jar full of lip treatments, but my fall favorite is Tarte’s Maracuja Lip Exfoliant. The sugar sloughs away dryness and gunk, while the maracuja oil provides lasting moisture. Good stuff!
- Charlotte Tilbury’s much-heralded makeup line lives up to expectations: The Deco-style rose gold packaging is to die for and the products themselves live up to the hype. Charlotte’s “Bitch Perfect” lipstick is my perfect go-to nude, but this month I fell in love with her Matte Revolution lippie in “Amazing Grace,” a tea-rose shade inspired by actress Grace Kelly.
There you have it, friends. I hope your October has gotten off to a good start. Mine’s been a bit soggy but there’s sunshine in the forecast!