Looking hot is one thing; being hot is another. This time of year, when the temperatures soar and humidity adds to the misery, I can get a bit cranky.
Unfortunately, my husband and I operate on different sides of the thermostat spectrum. He’s always cold. I’m decidedly not. This makes for some, shall we say, heated debate over the air conditioner setting. I maintain that if he’s so cold, he can always put on another layer. But hot is hot and there’s no way to cool off other than cranking up the AC.
Fortunately, some companies are getting the “being hot is misery” message. There are more products with cooling properties on the market than ever, and they’re absolutely my cup of iced tea. Interested? Then you might want to check these out:
- Cool Off Citrus Ice Towelettes — These individually packaged wet wipes promise to cool the body down by as much as 12 degrees Farenheit and maintain the chill for more than 60 minutes. Funny story: A close friend of mine was traveling to China and fretting about the heat, so I shared a few of these towelettes with her. It turned out the heat wasn’t the only issue — the public toilets were of the “squat” variety and didn’t feature toilet tissue. At a critical moment, she rummaged through her purse and whipped out a towelette. She reported experiencing a lingering cooling effect down south. Amazon, $19.00 for a pack of 12.
- Yes to Cucumbers Cooling Hydrating Mist — This 96 percent natural product offers instant cooling thanks to aloe and cucumbers, as well a feeling of instant skin hydration. Ulta, $10.99.
- Hand Chemistry Hyaluronic Body Mist — Similar to the Yes to Cucumbers product, this all-over body mist provides a nice cooling sensation. The effect lasts longer than the Yes to Cucumbers version and also is more moisturizing, perhaps because hyaluronic acid is a key part of the formula. Amazon, $19.99
- Keep Your Cool Skin-Calming Gel Mask — This product promises to keep skin cool and calm, thanks to the presence of cucumbers and coconut. While it feels lovely on the skin, I wouldn’t say it’s exceptionally cooling — unless, of course, you store it in the refrigerator. In that case, it’s delightful. , $5.99
- Rituals Samurai Ice Shower Cooling Shower Gel and Cool Hair Shampoo — These feel somewhat cooling in the shower and the feeling intensifies afterward. Nothing drastic; just a light cooling effect. These products have a nice, unisex scent attributed to Japanese bamboo and mint. Amazon, $15.99 for the gel and $19 for the shampoo.
- Marc Jacobs Twinkle Pops Eye Sticks and Chanel Stylo Fresh Effect Eyeshadows — Not only are these among my favorite cream shadows, but they have an extra bonus: They generate a distinct cooling effect as they slide onto the lids. The Marc Jacobs version attributes the chill to an infusion of “pure Alpine snow water from the Swiss Alps to hydrate lids and leave them with a soothing sensation.” The Chanel Stylo promises a “lightweight, water-infused formula that glides on effortlessly and cools lids at the touch for instant comfort.” Sephora, Marc Jacobs, $28. Nordstrom, Chanel, $34.
- Chillow Original Cooling Relief Pad — The Chillow gets mixed reviews but I love mine. This product is a memory-foam-filled pad in an outer case that provides a cooling sensation when filled with water. I give mine extra oomph by keeping it in the refrigerator during the day and sliding it into my pillowcase (on top of my pillow) when I climb into bed. I sleep cooler, deeper and longer and am never without my Chillow during the summer months. In fact, I keep a spare for extra-hot nights. If I wake up in the early morning hours to find Chillow No. 1 has gotten a tad warm, I pad to the fridge for the backup. (By the way, the Chillow retains its water — you just have to add another cup or so every few months due to evaporation.) Amazon, currently marked down to $12.69 from $29.95
Chill out, dear readers! Until next time …
Watching with (frostily) baited breath…
LikeLiked by 1 person
I’ve been thinking of getting the chill pillow for my bf…… But I don’t know if it worth it
I love mine. If you can snag one on sale, go for it!
Great post! I love how your blog is set up! Can you check out my blog and follow it if you like it? Thanks, and I look forward to reading your post, and checking in on your blog! https://valsvougexo.wordpress.com/